Liver Cancer Center Faculty / Medical Staff >
Samsung’s Liver Cancer Center is staffed by more than 30 board certified doctors drawn from a range of departments, including gastroenterology, transplant surgery, hematology, oncology, radiation oncology, radiology, pathology, and laboratory medicine. These specialists provide top-class treatment to patients with liver cancer.
Major areas of treatment
Specialty: Liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma)
As a world-class hospital for the surgical treatment of liver cancer, we have shown exceptional medical outcomes:
- Provides personalized treatment with patient-centric, multidisciplinary approach.
- Achieved globally exemplary five-year survival rates: 50% between 2005-2009.
- Performed over 7,6000 radiofrequency thermal ablation (RFA) since 1999.
- Achieved excellent survival rates after radiofrequency thermal ablation therapy:
Strengths Category Year 5-year survival rate 10-year survival rate Samsung Medical Center 1999-2011 59.7% 32.3%
- Improves quality of life through laparoscopy and robot surgery.
The The Liver Cancer Center performs accurate early diagnosis and evaluation to provide successful treatment opportunities to patients:
- Tumor markers (blood test)
- Contrast enhanced ultrasonography
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
Latest treatment methodst
Along with hepatectomy, liver transplantation, radiofrequency thermal ablation, chemoembolization of the hepatic artery, chemotherapy (targeted therapy), radiosurgery, and radiation therapy, the Samsung Liver Cancer Center has now begun to offer liver cancer cryotherapy.
Recent trends in clinical research
The Liver Cancer Center is playing a leading role in multi-institutional domestic and international clinical studies. The following is a list of recent studies conducted by our staff and faculty:
- Liver cancer risk factor model was devised in patients with chronic liver diseases
- New surveillance program was developed to diagnose early liver cancer
- Applied optimized and personalized treatment for patients with advanced liver cancer who have low chance of complete remission