Tumor is a highly wasting disease in which it may absorb the necessary nutrients needed for normal membrane growth. In most cases, appetite is decreased from the disease in the tumor itself. Therefore, food consumption may be difficult during the radiation treatment and careful management of nutrition is needed. Even if food consumption becomes difficult, consume foods that are easy to digest and high in nutrition and avoid binge eating by consuming small amount of food at a time. Always remember that a healthy diet can be the best treatment method.
1) What type of meals should I have during the radiotherapy?
• A particular type of food does not enhance radiotherapy results.
• It is important have a well balanced diet.
• High calorie and high protein food increases the treatment effects and rate of recovery.
2) Can I eat meat or sugary foods?
Yes. You can consume them.
• Since meat is high in protein, it is good to steady consume meat during the radiotherapy.
- Pork, chicken, beef, and dog meat
• Although excessive consumption of sugar is not recommended, a moderate level of consumption okay because it helps fatigue management and calorie supplement.
- animal fat including butter and cream, and also, sugar, chocolate, and honey
3) Can I eat raw foods such as raw beef and sashimi?
Yes. You can consume them.
• You can consume raw foods on the average.
- including fresh fruits, unprocessed vegetables, sashimi, raw beef, and fermented food
However, raw foods are restricted when treatments with anticancer treatments as it may increase the risk of infection due to decreased level of immunity. In such cases, the medical team guides you through the restricted foods. Therefore, you should be attentive to your diet during this period.
4) Can I consume supplements such as red ginseng concentrate, Sanghwang Mushroom, green vegetable juice?
No. You should not consume them.
• Taking certain health supplements may have negative effects on the radiotherapy (For example: liver function deterioration)
• Overdose of multivitamins and nutritional supplements can influence liver functions. Therefore, consultation with a medical representative is necessary.
※ Examples of certain health supplements that you should be cautious of
herbal medicine, concentrates (including red ginseng, ginseng, wild ginseng, fresh ginseng), Sanghwang Mushroom, Lingzhi Mushroom, green vegetable juice (including kale, angelica utilis, wild parsley), boiled water (including carp, eel, snakehead), cordyceps militaris, agaricus, elm juice, noni juice, chitosan, squalene, and Gaesoju
5) It is very difficult for me to eat food including soup. Can I receive nutrition supplement injections or fluids?
It may be necessary to receive nutritional supplements due to lack of oral ingestion and you should consult with a medical representative before deciding. In the case you cannot consume food, please inform the nurse or the doctor in charge.