Samsung Medical Center established the Research Center for Future Medicine in July 2010 to advance clinical research and grow into one of the world’s leading research driven hospitals. In November 2011, the Samsung Medical Center merged Samsung Biomedical Research Institute and Research Center for Future Medicine to launch the Research Institute for Future Medicine.
Since then, the Research Institute for Future Medicine has been actively implementing creative clinical research by providing a wide range of research support system. Thanks to these efforts, the institute is reinforcing its network with global medical centers, and is leading the advancement of future medicine by exporting avatar research technology to the Middle East.
The institute will continue to nurture clinical research specialists, innovate clinical trial infrastructure specializing in critical illnesses including cancer and establish open innovation network with global pharmaceutical companies and research institutes.
- Established MOU for genome-based personalized cancer treatment and development with Tgen
- Designated as Systems and R&D Budget Support Program among research driven hospital
- Designated as Medical Device Translational Clinical Trial Center
- Designated as Global Center of Excellence in Early Clinical Trials
- Signed agreement with King Fahad Medical City, Saudi Arabia for refractory cancer research
- Launched brain tissue bank
- Established Stem Cell & Regenerative Medicine Center
- Designated as Research Driven Hospital
- Established Samsung Genome Institute
- Designated as premier research site by Sanofi-Aventis Korea
- Hosted the first Korea-Japan Joint Forum of Medical Device Clinical Trial
- Designated as Medical Device Clinical Trial Center by the Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs
- Acquired full accreditation by the Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs (AAHRPP) for the first time outside of the United States
- Opened and launched e-IRB system (Korea’s first; currently 31 hospitals are using the SMC system)
- Established Clinical Trial Training Center
- Developed IRB Standard Operation Protocol (SOP)
- Acquired Federal Clinical Trial Practicing Entity FWA Certification (FWA: Federal Wide Assurance)
- Established Clinical Trial Pharmacy
- Registered as IRB and FWA to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service
- Established Clinical Research Institute