This is an area of research into the bones in the extremities and the spine and the surrounding tissues such as muscles, ligaments, nerves, and blood vessels, and the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and injuries in the foregoing.
Major areas of treatment
- Knee (knee joint): Sports injuries such as damage to the cruciate ligament or the semilunar cartilage, arthritis (degenerative, rheumatic)
- Sacrum (hip joint): Head of femur avascular necrosis, arthritis (degenerative, rheumatic)
- Upper extremities (hands and arms): Diseases or injuries in the wrist or elbow, upper extremity peripheral nerve diseases or injuries
- Shoulder (shoulder joint): Ligament injuries, dislocation, frozen shoulder, arthritis (degenerative, rheumatic)
- Spine: Herniated cervical or lumbar disc, degenerative spinal diseases, spinal stenosis, spinal malformation
- Pediatric: Congenital malformation, growth impairment, infection, tumor, traumas that occurr in children
Tumor: Benign or malignant tumors that occur in the bones, muscles, nerves, or blood vessels in the extremities or the spine
For the past 20 years, our department has grown to include the sub-specializations of eight different major centers and fields: Arthroplasty surgery center (mainly hip and knee), arthroscopic surgery and sports medicine center (mainly shoulder and knee), spine center, pediatric surgery center, hand and wrist, foot and ankle, tumor, and trauma.
Our department has been publishing more than 20 original articles in international SCI(E) journals each year, leading the hospital and the nation in the field of orthopedic surgery. Many of the recently published papers have been based on numerous clinical experiences in difficult primary surgical cases and revisions. The leading cases of surgery are currently knee joint replacements, hip joint replacements, hip revisions of primary replacements, arthroscopic rotator cuff repairs and related surgeries, shoulder replacements, arthroscopic anterior cruciate ligament reconstructions and meniscus surgeries, spinal stenosis, treatment of LCP pediatric disease and complex hand and wrist deformity and trauma surgeries, malignant bone tumor salvage surgeries, and periarticular fracture surgeries.
Furthermore, our solid international reputation had been proven with numerous foreign orthopedic surgeons from all over the globe visiting our department every year to do a short-term observation course up to a year-long fellowship. As a tertiary hospital in Korea whose hospital and department have been considered the ultimate place to be for orthopedic care in the nation, we have been working endlessly and tirelessly to live up to our reputation. As a result, many foreign patients fly over to receive surgery and care from our department. We strive to pursue even higher-end service without resting on our laurels, to satisfy our patients with flawless surgical performance and reliable post-op care.