Rehabilitation medicine is a field of medicine that diagnoses and treats patients with decreased physical functions due to central and peripheral nerve diseases, musculoskeletal disease and injury, and cancer treatment. We try to promote maximal functional recovery in patients with decreased functions with comprehensive diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment through physical, psychological, and social approaches.
Major areas of treatment / Clinics
The Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at the Samsung Medical Center treats the following diseases.
- Motor paralysis, speech and cognitive dysfunctions, and dysphagia due to stroke and traumatic brain damage
- Ambulatory disabilities and pain due to spinal injury or spinal disease
- Developmental disorders due to cerebral palsy
- Musculoskeletal pain and sports injuries due to joint and spinal disorders
- Lymphedema due to cancer and treatment, musculoskeletal and neurogenic pain, dysfunction
The Department of Rehabilitation Medicine operates the following specialized clinics/treatmen
- Brain and neuro-rehabilitation clinic
- Cerebral palsy clinic
- Pediatric spasticity clinic
- cancer rehabilitation / Lymphedema clinic
- Sports injury rehabilitation clinic
- Foot clinic
- Botulinum toxin and nerve block clinic
- Non-surgical intervention clinic (nerve block, neuroplasty, and arthrography)
- Robot rehabilitation treatment
- Non-invasive brain stimulation
- Eating disorder clinic
- Plagiocephaly/brachycephaly head shape correction treatment
- Horseback riding treatment
- Prosthesis/orthosis evaluation and fabrication
Each staff member of the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine provides detailed and specialized diagnosis and treatment in the Brain Neurologic Center,
Pediatric and Adolescence Center, Bone and Joint Center, Cancer Hospital Comprehensive Cure Center, and Spinal Center.
We have also eliminated the inconvenience of patients moving around to consult different departments by organic co-operation with other departments in each center, and are providing patient-centered multi-disciplinary medical care where various departments discuss one patient.
Latest treatment methods
In the field of brain and neuro-rehabilitation, we use non-invasive brain stimulation, such as repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation and transcranial direct-current stimulation to promote the recovery of motor and cognitive functions in patients with brain diseases, and use cutting-edge devices, such as ambulatory support rehabilitation robots to provide the best treatment possible for functional recovery after the occurrence of brain diseases. Also, a specially trained comprehensive rehabilitation treatment team provides the best rehabilitation treatment. including cerebral nervous system exercise therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, cognitive therapy, swallowing therapy, and daily routine training.
In the field of pediatric rehabilitation, we inject botulinum toxin to treat muscle rigidity, and perform horseback riding treatment to enhance the sense of balance and motor functions of pediatric patients with developmental and mental disorders.
ment for patients who are intractable to conventional medical therapy, and carry out accurate and quantified torticollis blocks using electromyography.
In the field of cancer rehabilitation, we quantify edema using ultrasonography and lymphoscintigraphy, and perform customized and personalized treatment based on these results. We are the first in Korea to perform treatment using biofeedback for problems that occur after low anterior resection for colon cancer.
In the field of musculoskeletal rehabilitation, we non-surgically treat lesions of the joint and spine using radiographic images, and are introducing regenerative treatment for degenerative disorders using platelet-rich plasma and stem cells.